What was planned, despite negative economic conditions, is going to take place this spring.
My wish for organizing a competition for pianists in Moscow has been met. I’d like to thank Olga Golodets, Vladimir Medinsky, Arkady Dvorkovich for their support.
Piano is the most popular instrument in the world. The largest number of competitions and famous performers in classical music is of this specialty. We all remember Tchaikovsky Competition, where (from the time of Van Cliburn) piano specialty is in the spotlight.
Working as the President of “New Names” Charity Foundation, I spend a lot of time looking for new young talented musicians all over Russia and former USSR republics. Ivetta Nikolaevna Voronova, who headed this Foundation before and who found me many years ago in Irkutsk, always underlined, that new younger generations were the future of “New Names”, of “Crescendo” and the most important part of our team. Thanks to our master-classes, contests, concerts, I know a lot of talented pianists under 16.
I also have piano competitions in Astana and Kiev, owing to which we’ve found new young classical music stars. So I fully understand that the level of our Moscow Competition will be very high. Dates of this new competition are from 30th of April to 5th of May.
Astana Piano Passion became famous and prestigious worldwide. And I am really grateful to Imangali Tasmagambetov for this wonderful idea and original format – Festival-Competition. There is no psychological stress from selection and failure - every participant becomes a member of our team. This approach inspired me so much that I decided to organize such festival-competition in Russia. This new Competition in Moscow will differ from all other piano competitions.
A qualifying round (video program viewing) will help us to select 15 contestants. Round II (recital) will be held in Rachmaninoff Concert Hall, and final Round III (performance with orchestra) – in Great Hall of Moscow Conservatory with brilliant State Academic Symphony Orchestra. No one will be eliminated from the Competition after Round II. All 15 participants will have a chance to perform with the orchestra in the Great Hall of Moscow Conservatory. There will be no First, Second, Third of Forth prize. Every participant becomes a member of our team. We’ll have 5 laureates and 10 diplomants. And Grand Prix – a grand piano from Yamaha.
So all 15 participants are winners already, because they’ll have a chance to show their art to the public all over the world. Medici.TV agreed to become a partner of our Competition and will broadcast all rounds online. So if you won’t be able to come to Moscow in May, you can see the Competition on Medici.TV web-site.
Jury of the Competition will be announced soon, but I can assure you, that Jury’s level will be as professional and reputable as Tchaikovsky Competition Jury was in summer 2015.
We also start the Competition web-site soon, present Competition’s General Rules and announce preliminary round.
Thank you all for your support!
Wait for the updates!
I International Competition for Young Pianists «Grand Piano»
RULES AND REGULATIONS
FOUNDERS OF THE COMPETITION
The Government of the Russian Federation
Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory
ORGANIZER OF THE COMPETITION
Federal State Cultural Institution "Federal Directorate of music and festival programs "Rosconcert"
Moscow city, Russian Federation
30 April 2015 – 05 May 2016 года
AIMS OF THE COMPETITION
Main aims of the Competition are to find new talents in the field of piano music, to preserve traditions of national piano school, to improve international exchange of performing arts methods and the artistic connections, to develop professional education at piano departments of children music schools and central special music colleges, to promote classical piano music as an important part of cultural education of the younger generation and to support young talented pianists at the outset of their career.
Artistic director of the Competition, Chairman of the Organizing Committee - Denis Matsuev.
The Organizing Committee, consisting of the prominent figures of culture and the media, was created to fulfill the realization of all preparatory work and to control the compliance of the Rules and Regulations of the Competition.
The right to solve controversial questions belongs to the co-chairs of the Organizing Committee.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE COMPETITION
The Administration of the Competition was created in order to prepare, conduct and coordinate all events of the Competition. The competence of the Competition’s Administration includes all issues related to the organization and conduct of the Competition.
PARTICIPANTS OF THE COMPETITION
The Competition is open to young pianists under the age of 16 years inclusive. The age of participants is determined on or before the first day of the Competition.
1. The Administration of the Competition examines all applications confidentially. The Administration reserves the right to request additional information from the candidates.
2. The Jury members will conduct the qualifying round in the period from March 21 to April 03, 2016 by examining the applications and viewing the video of the applicants. Participants of the Competition will be determined by the results of the qualifying round.
3. The Competition auditions will consist of two rounds.
4. All participants who have passed the qualifying round will take part in both rounds.
5. The Administration will notify the candidates for admission to the semi-finals of the Competition no later than April 03, 2016.
6. No more than 15 competitors will be admitted to the round I and II.
7. Upon arrival to Moscow all contestant should hand in to the Administration the photocopies of all music sheets for the Competition. The photocopies will not be returned to the contestants after the Competition.
8. Acoustic rehearsals on stage and rehearsal rooms for individual practicing will be provided to the contestants before each round
9. The order of performances in round I will be determined by drawing procedure and will remain unchanged throughout the Competition. However, the Jury has the right to change the order of performances due to the illness of the contestant or other force majeure circumstances.
10. The order of pieces to be performed at the Competition shall be determined by the contestants themselves.
11. All auditions of each round are open to public
12. All compositions must be played from memory
13. students of Jury members are not allowed to take part in the Competition
Qualifying round is based on the results of contestant’s videos scored by the Jury members.
Program for the qualifying round is at the participant's choice including:
1. A polyphonic work of the Baroque period.
2. Composition of the Classical period (can be performed movements of a classical sonata or classical variations).
3. A virtuosic composition.
Time limit – 20 minutes.
I Round – solo program.
Free repertoire at the participant's choice including:
1. One or more compositions starting from the Baroque period to the Classical period (inclusive).
2. One or more compositions starting from the Romantic period to the music of the XXI century. Performing pieces composed by the participants themselves is also allowed.
3. The work of Russian composers of the XIX-XXI centuries within the general time limit of round I.
Time limit of round I is 20-30 minutes.
Performance of any concerto with symphonic orchestra at the participant's choice. Participant can also perform only first movement or second and third movements of the concerto. Overall time of performance should not exceed 20 minutes.
RESULTS OF THE COMPETITION AND AWARDING OF WINNERS
Only one Grand Prix will be awarded at the Competition.
Five contestants who receive highest scores from the Jury members will be awarded the title of Laureate of the I International Competition for Young Pianists "Grand Piano”
The rest of the participants will be given The Diploma of the I International Competition for Young Pianists «Grand Piano»
By the decision of the Jury members the laureates and diploma holders should perform at the final gala concert.
The results of the Competition will be announced on the final day of the auditions.
The international Jury of the Competition will consist of seven members.
The Jury has the right to:
1. to award not all prizes.
2. to share prizes between the participants of the Competition.
3. to award special prizes and diplomas.
In case of equal votes the artistic director of the Competition has the right for an additional vote.
4. Jury decisions are final and not revocable.
COMPETITION AWARDS AND PRIZES
The prize fund of the Competition is 40 000 US dollars.
According to the results of Competition the following prizes are awarded:
Grand prix of the Competition – Avant Grand Yamaha Hybrid Piano.
Prize in the amount of $ 5,000 – for the five participants who receive the title of Laureate of the I International Competition for Young Pianists "Grand Piano».
Prize in the amount of $ 1,000 - for the ten participants who receive the title of Diploma Holder of the I International Competition for Young Pianists "Grand Piano»
Prizes in the amount of $ 1,000 each – for the teachers of the laureates of the Competition
Denis Matsuev Special prizes:
- Trip and participation in the «Crescendo» festival;
- Trip and participation in the international music festival «Annecy Classic» (Annecy, France);
- Trip and participation in the international music festival "Stars on Baikal" (Irkutsk, Russia);
- An invitation to the summer art school from the Interregional charity foundation "New Names" (Suzdal, Russia).
All taxes that are required to be paid in the territory of Russia in accordance with applicable law shall be paid in excess of the sum of prize by Administration of the Competition.
It is also possible to award grants for education and other special prizes
PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
To participate in the Competition it is necessary to fill out the following documents on the Competition’s website before March 20, 2016:
1. application form
2. Link to www.youtube.com with unedited video recording of the program for the qualifying round.
3. high quality digital photos.
4. list of Competition program with a precise indication of composers, titles of the pieces, opus numbers, tonalities, timings.
5. A high quality scanned copy of participant’s birth certificate or passport
6. A high quality scanned copy of the accompanying person’s passport
Application deadline is March 20, 2016.
The Administration of the Competition will send a confirmation letter as soon the application is received.
Incomplete applications or applications without accompanying materials listed above will not be considered.
The participants and accompanying persons must inform the Administration about the number of people coming and provide all copies of identity documents no later than April 6, 2016, in order to solve issues related to the purchasing of travel documents (round trip), hotel reservations etc.
MEDIA AND COPYRIGHTS
By registering at the Competition the participant declares that no third party will recognize any copyright and / or other legal rights for video, audio and other materials created during the Competition.
All rights for the distribution of audio and video materials of the Competition, including commercial purposes, belong to the Administration of the Competition.
Participant transfers the rights for the broadcasting and distribution of materials (including the Internet) at no charge, in any territory, for an unlimited period of time to the organizers of the Competition
Administration of the Competition has the right to broadcast the auditions of the Competition and the final concert on radio, television, the Internet without any additional fee to the participants.
Administration of the Competition owns the exclusive right for audio and video recordings of the competitior’s performances, master classes of guest musicians, videos of the concerts held as part of the I International Competition for Young Pianists "Grand Piano» and their use in advertising and teaching purposes.
The Administration of the Competition books the hotel, pays for the hotel accommodation and for the three meals per day for one participant and one accompanying person from the day of his arrival to Moscow but not before April 29, 2016 until the end of his participation in the Competition.
The Administration of the Competition covers travel expenses (airline or railway economy class tickets to Moscow and back), transfer from the airport/railway station to the hotel and back, transportation around the city (within the framework of the Competition) for one participant and one accompanying person.
The contestants and their accompanying persons who receive an invitation to participate in the Competition and who reside in a country, which has a visa regime with Russia, should contact the nearest Russian consulate for a visa individually.
The Administration of the Competition prepares and sends an official invitation to contestants and accompanying persons to obtain a Russian visa.
The contestants pays all the visa’s costs by themselves.
The Administration does not provide contestants and accompanying persons with any kind of insurance.
Contestants who come to participate in the Competition but refuse to perform will bear all the costs by themselves for their stay and travel.